Jeffrey Hand has been a practicing lawyer and member of the Law Society of British Columbia since 1990. He is the Managing Partner at Singleton Urquhart, Legal Counsel. Mr. Hand has appeared at all levels of Court in the Province of British Columbia and has had extensive involvement in mediations and arbitrations.
Mr. Hand has a broad range of experience in resolving a variety of commercial disputes, with particular emphasis on construction related claims and professional liability matters. This includes the defence of design professionals, insurance agents/brokers, real estate professionals and financial planners. His practice also includes resolving insurance coverage disputes and claims involving property damage, bodily injury, work place injuries, employment law, liability insurance, marine and transportation claims and product liability matters.
As a Chartered Mediator and Chartered Arbitrator, Mr. Hand is a roster member of the British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute and a Chartered Arbitrator of the ADR Institute of Canada. He is also a member of the CDRS, International Panel of Construction ADR Specialists, an organization that provides mediation and arbitration services to the construction industry. Mr. Hand is also on the mediation Roster for WorkSafe BC, and the British Columbia Mediators Roster.
Mr. Hand sits as an adjudicator on the Property Assessment Appeal Board of British Columbia.
Mr. Hand has written and lectured on the topic of alternative dispute resolution and is an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law where he lectures on alternative dispute resolution and on construction law matters.
- Bachelor of Arts (English), University of Manitoba: 1986
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba: 1989
- Called to the British Columbia Bar: 1990
- Counsel on the first asbestos property damage case to be tried in Canada
- Counsel on an International Arbitration between Multi-Nationals involved in the construction of an offshore petroleum project
- Chartered Arbitrator, Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Canada
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, England
- Arbitrator, International Panel of Construction ADR Specialists, Construction Dispute Resolution Services
- Arbitrator, BC Arbitration and Mediation Institute Arbitrator Roster
- Guest Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law
- Past Chair, Construction Law Subsection (B.C. Branch) of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Member, BC Construction Round Table
- Member, Defence Research Institute
- Speaker at courses on Construction and Insurance Law
- Member of the British Columbia Mediator Roster (Civil) Society
Board And Community Service
- Adjudicator, Property Assessment Appeal Board of British Columbia
- Board of Governors, St. John’s School
- Board of Directors, British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute