At Singleton Reynolds, our people are what makes us great. We come together every day with the common goal of providing exceptional legal services and ensuring we go above and beyond for each and every client.
The range of backgrounds of the partners, counsel, associates and staff of Singleton Reynolds enables us to offer a broad range of services.
Singleton Reynolds’ lawyers spend a significant amount of time researching and thinking about how industry or legislative changes could affect your business.
Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP is recognized as a leader in construction and infrastructure, insurance, commercial litigation, real estate and business law.
Singleton Reynolds has offices to serve you in Vancouver and Toronto.
Singleton Reynolds believes in community. Our team members are teaching at Canadian universities and abroad, lecturing the next generation of lawyers.
How was Singleton Reynolds first established? Find out more here.
Recognizing the leadership that contributes to the company successes.
Singleton Reynolds prides itself in being a leader in corporate social responsibility. We encourage diversity, charity, mentorship, civic dedication and neighbourhood support.
Singleton Reynolds strives to understand the balance between your career and your personal goals and encourages our legal and operations staff in the pursuit of their interests outside of the firm.
We are always on the lookout for talented professionals to contribute to our team. Singleton Reynolds offers a professional and challenging work environment, with a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Our goal is to develop strong lawyers from student right through to partner. Mentoring and training start when you are a student and continue throughout your practice.
Dan Barber is a Partner in the Insurance, Construction and Infrastructure, and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups at Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP.
He is a practical litigator who strives to solve his clients’ legal problems effectively and efficiently. He specializes in the areas of insurance defence, professional liability, construction, and collections.
In his insurance work, Dan represents insureds in claims made by third parties and also represents insurers in first party coverage claims, bad faith claims, and recovery matters.
Outside of his insurance work, Dan assists his clients to successfully navigate through complex litigation including:
Dan has appeared as counsel at all levels of court in British Columbia and regularly represents clients at chambers, trials, mediations and arbitrations.
He began his articles with the firm in 2009. Since then, he has crafted an accomplished practice in Insurance Law, Construction Law, and Commercial Litigation. He has remained heavily involved with the firm, captaining the Singleton Reynolds softball and ski teams.
• Defended a professional liability claim against an engineer in the context of a run-of-the-river hydroelectric project in British Columbia.
• Defended a building subcontractor against claims of negligence arising from the fire loss of a multi-unit strata complex.
• Defended municipalities and commercial owners against claims of negligent design, on multiple occasions achieving resolution without any payment by his clients.
• Represented insurers in coverage matters and in matters involving allegations of the breach of the duty of good faith.
• Represented professional surveyors against claims of economic loss arising from allegations of negligent surveying of a multi-unit strata development.
• Represented formwork subcontractors to recover claims for delay and extras arising from the retrofitting of a historic concrete building.
• Recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars on behalf of institutional insurers in subrogated, fraud, and other recovery claims.
• Recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars on behalf of creditors, landlords, and professionals for a variety of debt claims.
• Conducted multiple trials, ranging in duration from three days to three weeks, in the Supreme Court of British Columbia as lead counsel and co-chair in matters including insurance defence, insurance coverage, fraud, and construction claims.
• Frequently resolved litigation using mediation, negotiation, and other alternative forms of dispute resolution.
• Insurance Corporation of British Columbia v. Mehat, 2017 BCSC 1476
• Pearson v. Savage, 2017 BCSC 1435
• CIT Financial Ltd. v. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, 2017 BCSC 641
• Schaffner v. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, 2016 BCSC 1186
• LeBel v. ICBC et al, 2016 BCPC 126
• Schaffner v. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, 2015 BCSC 314
• Kett v. Insurance Corporation of BC, 2014 BCPC 173
• Wallner v. Uppal, 2012 BCSC 1602
• Maver v. Greenheat Energy Corporation, 2012 BCSC 1139
• Kotscha v. Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, 2011 BCSC 836
Dan has spoken on civil litigation topics to both business groups and the legal industry including:
Articles | Jul 21, 2020
Articles | Jul 15, 2020
Articles | May 25, 2020
Articles | Aug 2, 2018
Publications | Aug 8, 2017
Publications | Jul 4, 2017
Or call Daniel at (604) 673-7463
This field is required